LOCAL COLOR 5: A Connecticut
Studio Art Quilt Associates CT Regional Exhibition
The Connecticut region of Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) is delighted to announce this call for the fifth iteration of its signature exhibition Local Color.
An exhibition of fiber art by members of the CT Region of SAQA. Artists are encouraged to explore the varieties of meanings, images and experiences evoked by the word “Welcome”.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- Open to active SAQA members who list Connecticut as one of their two SAQA home regions. This may include Connecticut residents as well as artists who live in other regions but list Connecticut as their secondary region.
- Artwork that has been juried and accepted into a previous SAQA-CT regional exhibition is not eligible for Local Color 5.
- Collaborations are permitted provided that (a) each person collaborating is a SAQA member as defined above; (b) the collaborative piece is entered as a separate work under the names of all collaborating artists; (c) the entry fee is paid for the collaborative work (this is in addition to any entry fees paid by the artists entering individual); and (d) the collaborative work is counted as one of the three works each artist is permitted to enter.
- Size requirements for 2D work are as follows
- MINIMUM = 60” around the perimeter (length of all 4 sides added together)
- MAXIMUM = the SHORTER side of the artwork cannot exceed 40” for 2D work (this is so that the quilts can be rolled together and fit into a vehicle for transport). The longer side has no MAX.
- If your quilt is framed or mounted on canvas, it is considered 2D work. For MIN/MAX use the dimensions of the CANVAS/FRAME, not the actual artwork
- 3D Artwork (such as garments or sculpture) do not have a MIN/MAX size requirement. However, the work we can exhibit will need to fit within the space and display limitations for each venue. When entering your 3D work, please include a photo showing the proper installation, on a wall, pedestal or floor
- If your work cannot be rolled you MAY be required to store or transport your work between venues.
- All 2D work must have a 4” wide hanging sleeve attached
to the back. It is highly recommended that artists use a split sleeve or
notched sleeve, so that the work can be hung from the ends or from the
middle. However, a single sleeve is acceptable.
- Please include a label with your name, title of the artwork and your email or phone number. The label may be fabric or paper, but must be securely fastened to the back of your quilt or canvas.
Entry Fee: $35 for up to 3 entries per artist.
ANNA PATALANO – MFA in Painting and Drawing,Yale University School of Art; BFA in Painting,Tyler School of Art/ Temple University; Summer Resi- dency, Skowhegan ME with over 20 years of teaching experience. As Associate Professor Fine Arts at the Univ. of Texas at El Paso, taught painting, composition and techniques, color theory, drawing, art appreciation; developed and wrote curricula for fine arts majors from a multi-cultural community, created an honors art program; developed scholarship program in conjunction with Corpus Christi State U. fine arts program. Commissioned portraits in private collections nationwide. She is currently President of the Greenwich Art Society and Co-Director of its Studio School.
Jan/Feb 2021 Call for Entries
Nov 1, 2021 Online Submissions Open
Nov 30, 2021 Online Submissions Deadline
Late Dec 2021 Notification of Acceptance
Early Jan 2022 Drop-off of Accepted Works
Feb/Mar 2022 Exhibition Opens at Guilford Art Center
Digital Photo Guidelines
Images of accepted work will be included in an exhibition catalog. Submitted images must be sized for printing: MINIMUM 2100 pixels on the SHORTEST side.
Additional Exhibition Locations
Select pieces from Local Color 5 may travel to additional locations. Exact show dates and locations will be announced as they are confirmed.
Accepted work must be available through the end of 2022.
You will be asked to agree with these Terms and Conditions:
I agree to loan my artwork to Studio Art Quilt Associates Inc. for the duration of the Local Color 5 exhibition. All works accepted into the show will be required to travel to all venues with the exhibition and must be available for the full run of the show.
I agree to permit the images or detail images and/or all or part of my artist’s statement to be used in the exhibit catalog, articles, ads, promotions, books, websites, blogs, CD’s, current event news coverage, television productions, and/or mulit-media productions for and about the exhibit or for and about the shows at which the exhibit may be seen.
I attest that the artwork I have submitted is my original design, not created from a pattern or done in a supervised class or workshop. I further attest that I have not used any copyright imagery in my work without permission from the original artist.
SAQA Exhibition Committee
Kate Themel (Managing Curator), Margaret Phillips, Lynne Allen
Question, comments, suggestions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org