MEMBER UP-DATE: We just added three new members to SAQA in CT. Please Welcome Clare Aliberti, Paula Fullar, and Robin DeMuth Schofield
RE: Minutes - Saturday, October 18th, 2014
New Britain Museum of American Art (NBMAA)
New Britain, CT
We would like to thank all of our members that were able to attend our regional meeting at the NBMAA. We had a packed agenda and thanks to everyone we did cover everything with plenty of time for "Show & Tell".
We enjoyed viewing the show "Let Me Quilt One More Day" and our meeting drawing brought in about $41 - thank you Carol Eaton for being in charge of the raffle. This money will be sent on to Martha Sielman to put in our CT account.
Our morning break out session enabled 6 - 8 members at each table to discuss and list goals and activities for 2105. The list was long but here are a few highlights of what members want:
- Meetings that offer speakers and demos, suggestions:
- design and composition, how to improve your work to the next level
- art critique
- professional development
- finding venues to exhibit and sell your work
- speakers from other CT quilt guilds
- members speaking about their business or special interests
– More time for Show and Tell!
- Quicker summary of things that are already on the SAQACT blog
- Opportunities to connect with artists outside of CT Regional meetings, suggestions:
- Classes and Workshops
- Parlor meetings: small group of artists in a local area who can later provide feedback to the larger group
- Working in conjunction with other fiber art groups
- Joint meetings with other SAQA regions
- Opportunities to make artwork and get involved, such as:
- CT trunk show
- Group "challenge" just for fun, not necessarily related to an exhibition or show
WE WLL TAKE THIS INPUT INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN WE START TO PLAN MEETINGS FOR 2015. YOUR INPUT ON SPECIFIC DEMO'S, MEETING SPACES. AND SPEAKERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Attendees agreed that they would be in favor of posting members names and where they live in on our SAQACT blog. This list will facilitate small local group meetings that members could host in addition to our 4 - 5 sate wide meetings.
However, not all of our members were able to make this meeting. If you DO NOT WANT your town listed next to your name, contact Catherine Smith - firstname.lastname@example.org or: Barbara Adams - email@example.com
If you change your mind we can always add or delete your town. Feel free to leave a comment on this blog with your ideas and suggestions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NBMAA - Tree Decoration up-date: Even though Anna was not able to attend this meeting - her committee logged in all of the pieces that were dropped off. Her last email included this statement: "I must tell you that the work for the tree is very impressive. I feel like I want to write a note to each one who has participated, the quality is excellent and I'm so proud to be arranging them on the tree. It will be just what we were hoping for." THANK YOU MEMBERS!!!!
After our morning meeting - members toured the museum and the show "Let me Quilt One More Day" Check the museum's website for on-going events at the museum - including;
October 30th – film “Quilts Matter” – Parts 1 through 6 will be on view throughout the day.
November 11th – Family Day with Leslies Giuliani
December 29th – Family Day – GHQG
January 4th, 2015 – Show closes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1 - SHOW DATES: April 15th - 17th 2016 - Piecemakers Quilt Guild
Place: Southbury CT Invitational exhibit - committee of volunteers - Carol Eaton and Karen Loprete has been formed. They will work with Laureen Pekar and Barbara Dieroff to come up with the specifications, deadline, etc. for this invitational show. Place: Southbury CT (Barb Adams and Catherine Smith will also be a resource for this committee.)
2. - SHOW DATES: September 26th, 2015 - January 17th, 2016 - Place: Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, Mass. "ART AS QUILT" - juried show open to MA/RI and CT SAQA members - On line entry opens May 1st, 2015 - closes May 31st, 2015. Notification goes out June 30th, 2015. Accepted quilts must be received by July 31st, 2015.
3 - NEW COMMITTEE: SAQACT Trunk Show - We will be developing our own SAQACT Trunk Show. This will enable our group wo have something available to share with guilds, libraries, galleries, and art centers to promote SAQACT. Betty Warner, Nancy Monson, Mary MacIlvan ( and Hope Barton as a back up) will work with Rita Hannafin to get this project off the ground. Their charge is to come up with the size specifications, and deadline for submission as well as other important "stuff". (Barb Adams, Catherine Smith and Diane Wright will also be a resource for this committee.)
NEXT SAQACT REGIONAL MEETING: 2015 IN THE PLANNING STAGES
HOWEVER ONCE WE POST MEMBERS NAMES AND TOWNS FEEL FREE TO HAVE A SMALL "PARLOR" MEETING BEFORE THE END OF 2014. WE ALSO WILL SEND OUT INFORMATION WHEN THE NBMAA CHRISTMAS TREE IS COMPLETELY DECORATED - THAT MAY BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR MEMBERS TO GET TOGETHER INFORMALLY ON A PLANNED DAY.