New Art Center Planned for Cheshire, CT
Ball & Socket Arts will transform the former Ball & Socket Manufacturing Co. building in Cheshire, CT into a multi-disciplinary arts center and community gathering place.
The Ball & Socket site was a working factory for almost 150 years, from 1850 until 1992. The company produced decorative buttons and metal fasteners. The site is 3.02 acres, with six buildings housing 72,000 square feet of interior space.
The Ball and Socket Arts group is raising funds to renovate and rehabilitate this beautiful and historic site to include art galleries, performance spaces, studios, classrooms, shops, restaurants and more. Final purchase of the site will take place in March 2014 and work will begin immediately. Opening is planned for the summer of 2016.
The vision for Ball & Socket is to:
- Transform the historic factory and grounds into an arts and entertainment complex
- Present curated exhibitions of professional artists with a focus on contemporary art, and provide exhibition spaces for regional artists and community organizations
- Present professional music and theater performances and provide opportunities for community organizations
- Present a curated film series and screenings of work created by film and animation students
- Offer classes, workshops and lectures taught by regional professional artists for children and adults, and engage Artists in Residence for special courses
- Create vibrant outdoor public space around the buildings including a sculpture park and art walk, with direct access to the Farmington Canal Linear Park
- Establish a fine-dining restaurant, casual food court and culinary demonstration space which will feature guest chefs and offer classes in culinary arts
- Host a collection of shops to complement the arts experience
Join Ball and Socket Arts in creating a new arts center in the heart of Connecticut
Contribute October 2 - 3, 2013 and your gift begets a gift of its own!
Ball & Socket Arts is kicking off its drive to transform the factory into an arts center and gathering place by participating in The Great Give 2013, a 36-hour online giving campaign sponsored by the Community Foundation for Greater New Haven. Matching funds and special prizes will make every gift go farther.
To learn more, visit: